Wednesday 18 September 2013

An Interview with Winner of Student Street Photographer of the Year - Jake Burge




















An Interview with Jake Burge

Q: So you’re the winner of Student Street Photographer of the Year 2012, how does it feel to have won such a prestigious award?
A: To be in the final 6 was a great surprise, but to win was an even bigger surprise as the other photographers in the final were all very good. The same can be said for the other award I was picked for (Flash Forward Emerging Artist 2012) this one may even be more of an achievement for me as it was not a student award and meant I was picked alongside more experienced up and coming photographers.

Q: Did you always want to become a photographer?
A: No not really, I only took a keen interest after travelling to Japan. When I returned I took a risk and decided to quit my job in Manchester and study photography back home in Hereford. 

Q: What influences you?
A: hmm hard to pin point that, anything that catches my eye from shapes and colours to old records covers kitsch design,  architecture, mundane objects, life.

Q: How would you describe your photographic style?
A: The opposite to instagram, although this could change.

Q: Who or what would you love to shoot that you haven't already?
A: My dream would be to photograph the actor Bill Murry for the day. If he is busy, going to space with a roll of film would be good.

Q: How do you feel about digital manipulation and to what extent do you use it within your work?
A: Personally I think there is nothing wrong with it if you are creative, I’m more interested in the finished work rather than technicalities of how it was made. For my photo work I don’t use manipulation apart from tweaking in the light room . Although I have used Photoshop to layer some photos if that counts.

Q: How technical is your photography?
A: I don’t see my photos as being so technical; I like the fact that anyone with a camera could shoot the same thing as me. It’s just a matter of what you chose and why you chose to photograph something rather than how technical an image was to make.

Q: How do you promote yourself?
A: This is something I need to do work on…I currently have a website www.snap-dash.co.uk and a little tumblr blog.

Most of my promotion at the moment is by making sure my name and website is shown when my photos are used. 

Q: What advice would you give to young people interested in pursuing a career within Photography?
A: Don’t be shy to show your photos or send them into a competition, even if you don’t win your name and photos are being seen by professionals…I have entered a fair few so don’t be put off if you don’t hear anything back. And don’t forget to take the lens cap off.


Here's a few more Photographs from Jake Burge below, but also check out his website www.snap-dash.co.uk 




No comments:

Post a Comment